Sunday 28 February 2010

Eggs, Bacon and Milk 01/02/08

These images are documentation of a video performance piece where a small crowd throw eggs, bacon and milk at an isolated individual, a type of emasculation. I was exploring the use of masks as a narrative tool, but rather than further the narrative I made a confusing mixture of masks with references to the KKK, cartoons and traditional folk or pagan imagery, and although seemingly none of these departure points have much in common, they can all however have the capacity to be very violent and enjoy the violence that they offer culture. I wanted to retain something both enigmatic and powerful and leading in the documentation of my performance work. I find still images not only to be immediately arresting but they allow the viewers mind to fill the gaps between images, they can create their own idea of the performance without being fed the whole thing which may sometimes be less provoking or dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment