Sunday 28 February 2010

Milky 10/10/07

\
Milky is a performance piece. I am using milk as a material that is loaded with connotations of gender and the early stages of mammal life. I use cold milk to affect the physical state my body is in. The Milk runs down my skin across my heart causing it to quicken its beat and then over my face causing it to become difficult to breathe. The adrenaline that is produced from this stimulates feelings similar to fear and excitement. Theories surrounding irrational feelings of fear and excitement link the release of adrenaline in the body to instincts in primeval man. I find elements of this primeval instinct a driving force of our lives and should be celebrated and explored. It is a main reason why I find performance an interesting artistic expression, feeling under scrutiny in front of an audience stimulates these anxieties and can excite us in a unexplainable way.

No comments:

Post a Comment